I would like to state, my first experience with the adaptogenic herb was not the best. I unfortunately mixed too much into my matcha tea, with no warning of the taste of this supposedly amazing herb. I am here to warn you, it taste disgusting! Ashwagandha means “the smell of a horse” in Sanskrit. They say because it imparts the vigor and strength of a stallion, but I think its for a more literal meaning! Once you actually read the label and use the appropriate amount, its not that bad. I would still suggest working your way up to the suggested amount and not just diving into this dark powder.
So why use this herb? Well the benefits definitely out weigh the taste. I have gathered my top reasons for taking this supplement
- Its affects the immune system and helps reduce swelling, from both arthritis and fluid retention.
- It may help in lowering blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes and lower high cholesterol.
- It has sedative effects, and could help ease anxiety and stress.
- Some tests show that ashwagandha could slow down the growth of cancer cells.
- It can reduce cortisol levels.
- May help reduce depression
- It can boost testosterone and increase fertility in men
- It may increase muscle mass and strength
- Helps improve brain function
- Enhances sexual potency for both men and women
These were enough reasons for me to give this supplement a try! And I do have to say the mind clarity and stress relief has been amazing.
Give it a try! I add mine into my matcha latte or in a home made hot chocolate!
Be sure if you have health issues to clear it with your doctor first!